San Elijo Hills #1 San Elijo Hills #1 Homeowner's Association
San Elijo Hills #1
HomeDocumentsFAQMinutesLinksReferenceContact Us

About Us
A secluded neighborhood in Solana Beach, read About Us.

Board Meetings
Meetings are usually held on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 6:30pm at the Lomas Santa Fe Country Club. Homeowners are encouraged to attend.

Contact Us
Contact the Board of Directors at:

Board Openings
Do you want to know what is going on in our neighborhood and have a say in how our HOA dues are spent? Become a member of the board! Meetings are only once a month, come join us at one to try it out.

If you have any website suggestions, please send us an email.

~ Frequently Asked Questions ~
  1. What are the Slope Assessment fees and when are they due?

    The Slope Assessment fees (or annual Maintenance Fees) are payable in two payments on September 1st and March 1st of every year. These fees pay for water and maintenance of the trees and vegetation on the slopes that are prevalent throughout the area. You will receive a bill in the mail, and the payments should be sent to Mother Lode Bookeeping (see the Contact Us page).

  2. Who should be contacted with questions or concerns regarding the San Elijo Hills #1 Homeowners Association (HOA), the slopes, vegetation or trees, or our neighborhood in general?

    Contact the Board of Directors at and they will respond to inquiries and handle questions and concerns accordingly.

  3. What should be done before making any exterior architectural modifications regardless of how minor?

    You need to obtain an Architectural Approval Request Form that can be downloaded from the Documents web page. This form can be filled out electronically, then printed. After all needed signatures are obtained it can be scanned and e-mailed to the Architectural and Planning Board at If scanning is not available, or if paint samples are included, the form may be mailed to the following address:

    San Elijo Hills HOA
    P.O. Box 232
    Solana Beach, CA 92075

    Some minor modifications such as exterior painting and roof replacements may be approved quickly. Some colors, types and manufacturers have been pre-approved by the HOA, consult the Documents web page for more details.

  4. If painting my house the same color, replacing an existing roof with the same material, or replacing a garage door, is an approval required? Even if it looks just like a neighbor's house down the street?

    Yes! The HOA is required to keep approvals and violations on file. It will be quickly determined whether the existing color or type material is currently approved and not in violation. The goal is to maintain the overall consistency of the community by enforcing the PC&R´s.

  5. If making a more extensive modification, how long should the approval process take?

    It is best to allow about 30 days, but most approvals take much less time depending on how complete your submittal is. Along with your completed form, you must include plans, elevations, brochures and color chips. As a courtesy you should inform your neighbors of the pending work, but you do not need their approval.

  6. Do I need to inform my neighbors of my proposed exterior house modifications?

    Yes! The homeowner must inform any neighbors who will be significantly affected of any planned modification that will require construction in excess of roof replacement, painting, or window and door replacements. The association recommends that the homeowner maintain a written record of providing such notice. You do not, however, need your neighbors' approval of the intended modifications since only the HOA Board/Architectural Committee has the authority to approve or disapprove modifications based on the Association's Policies and PC&R´s. The Board's responsibility is to assure all homeowners that those guidelines are met.

  7. Who is the Architectural and Planning Board?

    The Architectural and Planning Board consists of three volunteer homeowners having experience in land development, land planning, architecture, engineering, or associated fields, as per Article V of the PC&R´s.

  8. What is allowed on the easement side of my home?

    About one-half of the properties in the community have easements on both sides of the home. This allows a homeowner to landscape and have exclusive use of the land up to the adjoining neighbor's exterior wall. Along with this privilege comes restrictions. The original developer was thoughtful in restricting the size and height of side windows for privacy, also side set back requirements for structures. In general, these are common sense courtesy guidelines for both neighbors affected by the easements. These restrictions are contained in the official documents received by every homeowner when buying their home. See PC&R´s Article XIV and the Policy Manual section 4.0 - these can be found on the Documents section of this site. Modification submittals should address these easement restrictions.

  9. Are cars allowed to be parked in private driveways?

    Yes! Although originally disallowed, the PC&R´s were officially modified in 1995 by majority homeowner vote. Cars are still required to be garaged unless garage space is inadequate. The HOA trusts this privilege will not be abused by homeowners parking numerous or unsightly vehicles in the driveways, thereby detracting from the beauty of our special community.

  10. May the trash cans and yard waste be curbed the night before pickup day?

    Yes! But only the night before. Again, maintaining the consistency and beauty of our neighborhood is foremost. If many homeowners curbed their rubbish throughout the week prior to pickup day, the neighborhood would be an unsightly mess. (The City of Solana Beach code enforcement requires trash cans and rubbish not be stored anywhere visible from the street.)

  11. Can I plant a new tree on my slope?

    If you want to have a new tree planted on your slope, trim trees on your slope, or have a tree removed from your slope, please read the "Tree Policy" section 6.0 of the Policy Manual and fill out an Architectural Approval Request Form. These can be found on the Documents page.